Wednesday, March 25, 2015

March at Vine Living Farm

Life is crazy busy around here and "spring has sprung". We love it though. It's LIVING. It's messy, busy, loud, hectic at times, serene at other times, breezy, still cool at night, clear evenings, less bonfires, but more water play. Shady, hammock book reading, lunches on the picnic tables and lots and lots of BABIES (including the approval of our adoption paperwork and on the waiting list for our home study...ya-hoo!).

We gave in and bought 5 ducklings at Rural King. They seem to have taken on names from Beatrix Potter...Jemima Puddle Duck, Rebecca Puddle Duck, etc. {grin...because we're huge Beatrix Potter fans!}

My laundry room has become a duckling and turkey nursery lately, but I don't mind, thanks to THIS...

my essential oils diffuser. I'm really in love. No really! Who doesn't love a fresh-smelling house especially when adorable, little ducklings and turkeys must invade your laundry room. This has been fabulous to have and we take it everywhere we go, yes, even camping!

Our new kitty. We now own two cats and although we've never been cat fans before, we're so thankful for them as they've been on "mouse duty" in the barn.

Titus is pretty taken with his kitties.

We've had lots of baby rabbits born (12 to be exact) to two mothers within 24 hours of each other. Two didn't make it so 10 little bunnies remain.

Anyone wanting a spring bunny?

Finished a new quilt. Just a scrap pinwheel quilt, but it did turn out nicely.

Some fabrics were vintage sheets and some just left over fabrics from other sewing projects. I am a new fan of using sheets as my backing instead of buying expensive fabric. Just picked up a queen sheet at Goodwill for $3.00 and "bam!", instant backing. SO much softer too!

Bunnies, getting bigger. Our girls are in love I tell ya'. This is one litter...

and this is the other.

Then, let's just throw everybody together for a group shot.

Everybody smile!

This is our buck, Peter. Happy Papa! He was grinning from whisker to whisker the day the babies were born. He's such a sweet boy and the kids just love him.

Mopsy, one of the mothers.

Rob's car had to be taken into the shop, so this is the rental they gave him. Poor guy!

Our biddies. So happy to have eggs again.

There's nothing like a fresh egg. Nothing. Golden, orange yolks fresh from the hen house. We found a great feed store here in town that sells Kay Organics. Non-GMO feed for all of our animals. Score!

Our Americana rooster

We have a total of 3 roosters

Just taking a swim on this spring morning. Tis the life of a duckling.

I was finally able to get Echinacea growing. So excited about this tray of starts. I do grow all of our own starts and this one especially make me smile. Time to transplant!!

Tractor Supply  had a bunch of fruit trees in last month so we caved and bought a few...cherry, 2 apples, Navel orange, lime, lemon and a weeping willow. This peach is one from a tree I have been waiting to transplant for about 4 years. The Saturday we actually put them into the ground, I had to pinch myself again that we're actually here. (I have to pinch  myself from time to time...still.)

I've been having laundry line withdrawls, so Rob put this up for me a few weekends ago.

A go cart a neighbor gave to us to work on. Needs a new brake system. Lincoln and Titus are helping.

Some campfire cooking

What our afternoons are like (with some neighbor boys)

Isaac on our hay

Roses blooming

Lincoln's strength never ceases to amaze me...he's still just 7 and can lift things that I can't. My "man child"...tee hee

We didn't have bluebirds in the city where we used to live, but we have them here and they are such a delight! A family of bluebirds moved into the bird house Rob and the kids bought me for my birthday last year. We've had fun observing them.


Garden Phlox are in full bloom here in our little town and they're so beautiful along the roadsides. The kids tease me that I pick too many wildflowers, but I can't help myself. One of my favorite things to do.

Molly-Moo is a few months pregnant now and Mabel is currently undergoing some AI this week and next. She'll calve in early January. Four cows (Lord-willing) by next year! We'd better finish our pasture!!!

More laundry line drying.
 
Stay tuned for pictures of our latest little additions...they go by the name of "Fern" and "Wilbur". Betcha' can't guess what we've added to our little homestead?


No comments: